Chef Maggie’s butternut squash soup started out with traditional roots, but evolved to accommodate the vegan and dairy-free members we serve.
Instead of using the more traditional heavy cream, this recipe uses dairy-free coconut milk. Adding coconut milk gives this soup body, without it having an overwhelming "coconutty" taste.
Roasting the squash first brings out a natural sweetness that makes this soup the perfect comfort food. Check out the full recipe below!
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
PREP TIME40 MINS
COOK TIME30 MINS
Ground Black Pepper
Roasted Salted Pumpkin Seeds
1. Preheat oven to 360˚ F. Line a sheet pan with parchment.
2. Cut butternut squash in half, lengthwise, and scoop out seeds with a spoon then discard seeds. Lay butternut squash on sheet pan with parchment. Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt. Turn squash so cut side is facing down. Roast for about 40-50 minutes, or until very tender.
3. Scrape butternut squash flesh out of the skin and set aside in a bowl.
4. In a large stock pot heat sunflower oil and saute the onions until tender. Add minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes then season with salt. Add maple syrup, spices and vegetable stock. Stir for another minute, then add the roasted butternut squash.
5. Bring soup to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Let soup simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes. Add coconut milk and stir into soup.
6. Blend soup with high-speed immersion blender or high speed counter blender into a very smooth and creamy consistency.
7. Top with pumpkin seeds and enjoy! (You can either buy these pre roasted and salted or buy raw pumpkin seeds, lay one layer on sheet tray with salt and roast for 7 minutes on 350°F.)
First 3 followers to post their creation of this recipe and tag us get $40 in F&F credits 🎁
We deliver to your door!
Receive your meals from our in-house delivery team, packaged and labeled with reheating instructions. We currently service Rhode Island and Massachusetts.