Vegan Orange Cranberry Rolls
Dec 26, 2022 11:59:08 AM • Carly Hanellin
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 40 mins
These vegan orange cranberry rolls are packed with bright festive flavors. They're the perfect treat for everybody at your holiday party and are so simple to make!
|SERVES 6 SERVING|
|PREP TIME 1 HOUR|
|COOK TIME 40 MINS|
Vegan Orange Cranberry Rolls
|All-Purpose Flour||2 3/4 cups|
|White Sugar||1/4 cup|
|Baking Soda||2 tsp|
|Baking Powder||1/4 tsp|
|Oat Milk||3/4 cup|
|Vegan Butter||5 tbsp|
|Fresh or Frozen Cranberries||1 1/2 cups|
|Orange Juice||2 tbsp|
|Vanilla Bean Paste||1 tsp|
|Powdered Sugar||1/2 cup|
|Orange Juice||1 tbsp|
|Orange Zest||1 tsp|
1. Whisk the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Add the oat milk, and melted butter. Mix with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until a dough forms. Dough will be very soft and slightly sticky. If it’s too sticky and wouldn’t roll, add more flour, 1 Tablespoon at a time, until dough seems workable. Do not add more flour than you need; a soft dough is good.
2. Form the dough into a large ball and place it in a well oiled bowl. Cover and place the bowl of dough in a warm place to rise for 1-2 hours until the dough has doubled in size. I like to test my dough by "poking" it with a finger. If it doesn't bounce back and stays indented, it is ready.
- 3. Place dough on a floured work surface and, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 10×14-inch (25x35cm) rectangle.
3. While the dough is rising, make the cranberry filling. Please note that you'll want to make this at least 30 minutes before you are ready to roll the buns so the filling has time to cool and thicken.
4. First, whisk together the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl to form a slurry. Then, add 1 cup of the cranberries, ½ cup of the sugar, the cornstarch water slurry, orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla bean paste/extract from the cranberry filling ingredients to a small saucepan. Make sure to set aside the remaining ½ cup of cranberries and ¼ cup of sugar for later.
5. Stir the ingredients together and bring to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes until all the cranberries have burst open and released their juices. Stir and cook 1 more minute. Set aside.
6. Use a spatula to spread the cranberry filling evenly over the dough, leaving a ¼ inch border around the outside of the dough. Pour the additional ¼ cup of sugar set aside from the filling ingredients on top of the cranberry filling.
7. Starting from the longer end of the dough, roll the dough into a log. Make sure to tuck the filling and large cranberries as you go so no filling escapes. Seal the dough ends together by pinching the dough together.
Cut off the ends of the dough and discard. Use a very sharp knife to cut the dough log into 10 evenly sized slices.
8. Add the slices to a buttered/well-oiled 10" pan or cast iron skillet. Bake for 40-45 minutes at 350°F until just slightly browned on top and cooked all the way through.